Tuesday, April 16, 2024

The Journey of Frangipani: A Vocabulary Learning Experience

The Journey of Frangipani: A Vocabulary Learning Experience

By Janpha Thadphoothon


This article isn't about gardening; it's about the journey of acquiring new words and expressions.

Let me share my experience with the word "Frangipani" – the alternative name for the fragrant flower known as plumeria.


Image: Gemini

Several years ago, I was invited to a housewarming party hosted by a British man named Alan, who was married to a Thai woman. The house was lovely, and the party promised a good time.

Arriving at the party, guests brought various gifts. Some brought wine bottles; I brought a potted plant known in Thai as "Leelawadee" (I didn't know its English name).

When I presented my floral gift, Alan thanked me for the Frangipani plant. Hearing the term "Frangipani" for the first time, I wasn't quite sure how to pronounce it. In Thai, the flower is called "Leelawadee" or "Champa."

Since then, I've planted a Frangipani tree in my garden and adore its flowers and their lovely scent.

Interestingly, I hardly ever used the word "Frangipani" in my daily life. Occasionally, I'd hear it being mentioned. Sometime later, Alan reminded me of the plant I had given him, noting how beautifully it had grown in his garden.

Over time, I encountered the word "Frangipani" more frequently and learned that it's commonly known as "Plumeria." However, my initial introduction to the term was "Frangipani."

I share this story to emphasize that acquiring a new word, like "Frangipani" in my case, can be a gradual process. It involves repeated exposure and usage in different situations. It took me several years to fully grasp the word "Frangipani." Perhaps it was just me, but I felt it important to acknowledge this journey of word acquisition.

Key Lessons Learned from My Experience with "Frangipani"

Reflecting on my personal journey with learning the word "Frangipani," I've gleaned several valuable insights for fellow English language learners:

Contextual Learning: My introduction to the term "Frangipani" unfolded in a social setting, underscoring the significance of contextual learning. Understanding vocabulary within real-life contexts not only elucidates meanings but also elucidates their practical usage.

Repetition and Exposure: It took me several years to fully grasp the nuances of "Frangipani." This underscores the pivotal role of repetition and exposure in language acquisition. Regular encounters with words across diverse contexts reinforce comprehension and usage over time.

Patience and Persistence: My endeavor to master "Frangipani" underscores the importance of patience and persistence in language learning. Embracing the gradual nature of vocabulary acquisition and maintaining a commitment to the process is vital for progress.

Connection to Prior Knowledge: Initially familiar with the flower "Leelawadee" in Thai, I realized the importance of linking new vocabulary to existing knowledge. Drawing parallels between words in different languages enhances comprehension and retention.

Flexibility in Language Use: Despite learning "Frangipani," I observed its infrequent usage in daily life. This highlights the need for adaptability in language usage and understanding that not all learned words will be commonly employed across all contexts.

In essence, my experience with mastering "Frangipani" underscores the multifaceted nature of language acquisition. It emphasizes the diverse strategies and attitudes that contribute to successful learning endeavors.


Janpha Thadphoothon is an assistant professor of ELT at the International College, Dhurakij Pundit University in Bangkok, Thailand.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Future of Teaching: Preparing Students as Self-Taught Learners

  The Future of Teaching: Preparing Students as Self-Taught Learners Janpha Thadphoothon In today’s rapidly changing world, teachers face a ...