Tuesday, February 2, 2021

The Ultimate Listening - Everybody Wants to be Heard, But Few Are Actually Listening

 Ultimate Listening - A Call To Arms

 By Janpha Thadphoothon

I can hear you, but I may not listen to you. Likewise, you can hear me, but you may not listen to me. The premise is this: listening and learning are not the same thing. Listening matters when it comes to learning and concentration.




Listening cultivates wisdom and removes ignorance. It is like a torch that dispels ignorance. If you enrich your mental continuum by listening, on one can steal that wealth. It is the supreme wealth.

 

 

On listening, The Dalai Lama said that:

 

I am talking to you and you are listening to me. We are generally under the impression that there is a speaker and an audience and there is a sound of words being spoken. But if I search within myself, I will not find the words and if you search yourselves you will not find them either --- they are all void like empty space. Yet they are not completely non-existent. This paradox relates to the dual nature of truth.

 

Similarly, J. Krishnamurti has this to say o the silent mind, the listening mind:

 

Go into it. It means knowledge is time. If you are using knowledge as a means of advancement, you are caught in time and therefore fear, anxiety, and the whole process goes on. To enquire into the nature of the ending of time requires a silent mind, a mind that is free to observe, not frightened, free to observe the movement of time in yourself, how you depend on it.

 

On learning, learning is like a passing wind.

 

I hear … and I forget

I see … and I remember

I do … and I understand

 

A Chinese proverb

 

 

So we forget something, say the recent stimuli, because of our limited brainpower. Of course, there are other factors influencing our perception. Some people say we have our historical records of reinforcement, negatively or positively.

 

We have both bad memories and pleasant memories. We all want to get rid of the bad ones, and keep the more desirable ones to cherish until the last breath.

 

Life is just like that. It’s part of a bigger canvas.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Should Thailand Have the Ministry of Climate Change and Environment (MOCCE)?

  Should Thailand Have the Ministry of Climate Change and Environment (MOCCE)? Janpha Thadphoothon Hi, I'm Janpha Thadphoothon, and I...